Skip to main content

2.10.17- Social Media/Immigration Ban

I've been taking some time away from social media for a few days- hence the hiatus of posting. I noticed that my mood is directly affected by social media: it was my main form of the news, as well as the emotions/opinions attached to it. I realized that my opinions were coming from unbiased news sources, not to mention that the people posting the news (my friends on Facebook), were tagging it with their own biases. That's not to say that is a bad thing, necessarily, but I wanted to be able to form my own opinion about these changes that our happening in our everyday lives.

Plymouth State University offers an American Government course that I've been taking. Our misogyny, racism, xenophobia, etc, has been a part of American history for so many centuries. Taking a course in the history of Government is inherently important, and it's definitely helped me understand our history, as well as what's happening today.

Which brings me to my next point. On 1/27/17, President Trump signed an executive order to keep out immigrants from America. It has become very controversial, understandably, and there were massive protests from airports of different parts of America that were halted due to his ban. People were denied entry to America, even though they were immigrants that have completed the entire immigrant process. These are people that have been trying for at least two years to come to America, and have VISAs in hand, but are being denied entry. How on earth is that constitutional?

Many others agree with me, in the idea that Trump's new executive order is unconstitutional, unnecessary, and with the mindset of it being for religion rather than terrorism. For example, federal judges are refusing to act on the ban, because of how strongly they disagree with it. For now, the order temporarily suspends the Refugee program admitting people for up to 120 days, as well as suspending travel of immigrants as well as non-immigrants to any of the 7 countries that is on Trump's "list."

I attended a speak out event at my school with the mindset to learn more about this immigration ban, as well as see if I can understand more of what people are feeling. I learned a lot about the ban, and here are some of what stuck with me:
-None of the 7 countries have ever been a threat to Americans and have never sent over immigrants that are terrorists
-You are more likely to be killed by a toddler than by a terrorist
-President Trump is a pathological liar (see: "murder rates are on an 47% high")
-Within times of America letting in close to 3.5 million immigrants/refugees, there have been 20 terrorists, 3 separate attacks, and 3 Americans killed. That is between mid-1900's until now. Of those attacks, none of the countries that sent the terrorist(s) that killed the 3 Americans is on the list. (Without counting 9/11.)
-President Trump has made it somewhat understood that there is little-to-no screening practice, and that people are coming in and out of our country without will. This is not true. If you would like to see our process now, click here. This process could take upwards of 2-3 years at the very least.
-People are scared.
-President Trump prioritizes religious countries. The 7 countries on the ban are all Muslim-majority countries. In his ban, he states that we will take people regarding religion, if they are that of a minority in their country and feel unsafe: i.e., Christians in Muslim countries. Sneaky wording, huh?

It's important to stay hopeful and loving. Many refugees/immigrants are feeling like they are not welcome into America. America is supposed to be a place of hope, light, and promise. We are not portraying that promise anymore. The majority of people that are coming to America are terrified. They are coming to us because they are dealing with their own personal hell in their countries (see: ISIS), and America is supposed to be their savior to flee to. These people are the victims. Why are we punishing them for that? 

As one of the professors at this speak out event said so eloquently: "Imagine how many lives are getting lost while we're being so overly cautious."
We are human beings, at the base of it all. And I believe that race, gender, age, skin color, religion, and sexuality should not play a role in defining us as Americans. I believe that we should all help each other; human to human, and let anyone come to America, with open arms, welcoming them to our beautiful home.

Here are some photos from the protests in the airports.






Photos from: http://www.cnn.com/2017/01/29/politics/us-immigration-protests/
http://www.businessinsider.com/protest-photos-trump-muslim-immigration-ban-nyc-boston-dc-la-2017-1/#a-massive-crowd-formed-at-the-international-arrivals-gate-of-the-dallasfort-worth-international-airport-in-texas-14

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How I Spent my MLK Day

This Martin Luther King Jr Day, I educated myself.  I spent time reading articles about activism and the potential horrors that come with it. I read about all of what the great Martin Luther King Jr did and how he was treated because of it. I read about his wife, Corretta Scott King who was influential in MLK’s successes . I read about some of the darkest parts of our history, because history text books don’t tell us nearly enough of what happened in our country. I read the true statement that, as news reports want you to believe, Martin Luther King did not “give his life to this country,” he was murdered because of our country .  We have come so far, but we have so far to go. Without doubt, I know that King would be fighting today, and would recognize the civil and social justice that is going down in history right now.  This day, I’ve thought back to how our world is in shambles right now. How other presidents in history have celebrated this day by exercising community s

Title IX: Next Steps as a Nation of Activists

As many of you might be aware, Betsy Devos rolled back portions of Title IX that were put into place under the Obama administration. If you have not read up on it, please do so here before finishing this post. In summary, DeVos would like even more evidence from survivors that they were sexually assaulted and thus, they should punish the perpetrator. You may think that is not problematic, but let me tell you why it is. Yes, it definitely cuts down on wrongful prosecution of those being accused. The issue is, though, that wrongful prosecution barely happens. Only 2-8% of sexual assault cases are proved to be inaccurate. That leaves 92-98% of sexual assault cases to be proven to be correct. Why that means we should make the reporting process harder, I cannot say. This is also problematic because it not only disrespects everything that the Obama Administration did prior, but it shows that Betsy DeVos is more concerned with protecting rapists than she is survivors. It shows tha

Reproductive Health: Women Edition

Please bear with me during this post. While it is long, it's very important to me, and reading it would raise awareness. It was hard for me to type this all out, but I do hope that it helps somebody for me to tell my story.  This past week, I experienced the first ounce of being uninsured by healthcare. I'd like to start this blog post with stating that I'm so lucky to have healthcare, and to not have to worry about it very much in the past. My parents are so lucky to have jobs that insure healthcare, and I couldn't imagine not being able to be insured, for whatever reason. This past week I took a trip to the gynecology office. I've only gone once before, just to discuss birth control methods that were best for me, and that trip was over two years ago. The trip consisted of discussing methods with my doctor, learning what they all do to your body, thanking her, and leaving. This next trip was a bit more complicated. Let me explain. Ever since I started dating m